Vista replay issue

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
GTSVip9
League Member

Vista replay issue

Post by GTSVip9 »

I recently switched to a new comp running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and I'm having an issue with my replays. I'm only getting around the last 10 laps of any race. I've taken the options.cfg file from my old XP comp which would save the full replay and it made no difference. Any ideas?
bmxtwins
League Member

Re: Vista replay issue

Post by bmxtwins »

I run mine on essentials and dont have a problem. But when I try to video it will crash. I reinstalled and it worked.
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

I would recomend this to everyone who is running heat on a vista machine.. It is almost necessary due to the way this old game operate & uses/writes files..

Change the permissions of the "NASCAR Heat" folder by right clicking on it hitting properties and adding your user account name to the list & giving yourself "full privilages" this will ensure that you now "own this folder" but be 100% sure you also run every install as the administrator.

If this alone does not solve your issue be 100% sure that your max_mb in your options.cfg is high ehough but not too high I usually set it to 999.....
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
GTSVip9
League Member

Post by GTSVip9 »

Setting the max mb at 999 and changing the folder permissions made no difference.

On a side note, if I run heat as the administrator, it crashes. Not sure what that's about.
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

I have never run heat on a 64-bit machine, not sure if that would work properly or not, there are often issues with 32-bit programs running on 64-bit machines, you need to be sure that you are running heat as a 32-bit compatibility program, this includes putting it in a different program files that represents 32-bit only programs.
GTSVip9
League Member

Post by GTSVip9 »

Everything except replays and the results file works exactly as it did on XP. For some reason it will not save the results file either. I have heat in the Program Files (x86) file, I'm guessing I should try uninstalling it and putting it in the regular Program Files folder.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Well, your not the first guy to have this problem. Gotta love Vista! I wish I had an answer for you, but I never played with vista much. Only to set up my kid's laptop.

DavisV had this same issue, and to my knowledge, never got it solved. I think Lepage is sucessfully saving replays on Vista...

Lepage?
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

bover907 wrote:Well, your not the first guy to have this problem. Gotta love Vista! I wish I had an answer for you, but I never played with vista much. Only to set up my kid's laptop.

DavisV had this same issue, and to my knowledge, never got it solved. I think Lepage is successfully saving replays on Vista...

Lepage?
Well, Vista has never, never given me an issue with heat on 3 different machines... It is all about knowing how to properly use it. There are several changes from xp to vista.
I have never had to do anything special to my vista configuration, plus, this seems like a 64bit configuration conflict with heat.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Heat should run normally on Vista. One of the major changes from XP are the compatibility files. In Vista, each user account generates files from programs in its own virtual folder. If you click "View Compatibility Files" in a folder in Program Files, then you should be able to access the "missing" Heat files. I'm not sure about the replay problem because I've never encountered that issue.

I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the compatibility files situation is causing it. If an options.cfg file exists in your virtual folder, then it will override the global options.cfg file in Program Files. The file in the virtual folder might have the bad replay settings.

From what he originally told me, I don't remember DavisV having a technical problem. He was only confused about where to find missing files.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Yes, but Davis did have the inability to save replays. His replay would only be the last few laps of a race, which was the OP's problem. Even when Davis changed his replay buffer size in options.cfg, the problem with his replays was there. I don't know if he ever got it fixed.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
GTSVip9
League Member

Post by GTSVip9 »

Nothing has worked for me either to get the full replay, I'm not sure yet on the results file.
GTSVip9
League Member

Post by GTSVip9 »

I have finally found a solution to my replay problem. I now have the Heat folder set giving me full permission, and have Heat set to run in Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode. This will allow me to save a full replay and still be able to race online. Setting it to run in Windows 98 compatibility mode will also allow me to save a full replay, but will also generate the "Multiplayer Not Suspended" error when connecting to a server. The only thing I have to deal with now is it gives me the "Nascar Heat is not designed for Windows 2000" message again. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this issue, this will help.
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

theres a fix for the last error you mentioned .Its @the Mod Squad.Where? thats a good question.You'll have to search it in the forum,but it is there!
Bubba
Forum Member

Post by Bubba »

gtsvip9 wrote:The only thing I have to deal with now is it gives me the "Nascar Heat is not designed for Windows 2000" message again. Hopefully if anyone else runs into this issue, this will help.
Here is a link to the patched .exe that eliminates that issue:

http://themodsquad.uni.cc/downloads/Pat ... utable.rar

The admins here at NHRL can post this file in their downloads if they want to. :smiling

It is for anyone that wants or needs it.

Just make a backup of the old "NASCAR Heat.exe" file, and then put this in there in its place. Some may also need to make a second copy and name it "NHeat.exe" for some older mods and such too.

If anyone ever needs something we have at The Mod Squad, just contact me (Raybee1970), and we can let you know if it is something we can let you host. Files like this patched EXE are important files for Heat users (so long as they want to get rid of that error message anyways)...so we have no problems with anyone hosting that file on their sites. It is the bigger files we host that we'd rather they stay at our site....for the obvious support we try and provide for those files. :smiling
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Thanks very much, Raybee. ;)
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Bubba
Forum Member

Post by Bubba »

No problem, Bov.... maybe it will help those users with that Windows 2000 message. If they want to get rid of it. ;)

It's not a "major" issue, since you can click on right through it....but if you don't ever want to see it, that file does the trick. :)

I believe when TheMask made that patched exe, that was all he changed in it, so it shouldn't affect anything else. I have used it ever since I got XP a few years ago, and I have never seen that "Nascar Heat is not designed for Windows 2000" since then. 8)
GTSVip9
League Member

Post by GTSVip9 »

I couldn't remember if I had used that patch or not, I thought I did since I didn't see the message when I wasn't running in compatibility mode but the patch did get rid of that message for me.