Special Rule for the Daytona Sprint

General announcements and discussion about the league rules page.
groverhardt
League Member

Re: Special Rule for the Daytona Sprint

Post by groverhardt »

Rookiesrock wrote:The fastest way around the track is the bottom groove. Why can't it be used to catch other packs?
Very interesting point. I think I may like trying the rule for some reason tho. Went okay in practice for the most part. I can see it being potentially frustrating tho for cars trying to catch up, especially if you're penalized for agreeing to stay low together to maximize catching up. Which would bring up another question tho. At what point would you then be obligated to take the lane up if another pack comes up on you? Or would a guy tired of being in that pack have to say okay guys, move up? LOL Also, the rules refer to pack leaders. It does not necessarily apply as stated to single cars staying down. And, at what distance would you be considered a pack leader, as in when a car or pack is coming up on you? Does this allow the single car to stay down, thus making it possibly easier for him to hook up with the pack going around on the outside? Or maybe one or more of the pack behind the leader would be able to push the single car through on the bottom, thus making him the pack leader for the next lap. LOL Unlimited possibilities. I know most of you guys well enough, and we will just race whatever the circumstances may be. I can see this being an increased burden on the admin to determine penalties more than anything. I'm sure most will be right, but most certainly the ambiguities in it will make some of the penalty decisions wrong without recourse. That's what I am afraid of. No offense admin. You've done a great job. In spite of that being said, I'm all for shaking things up, and think it will make it more interesting. No one likes change much, and it is a trial for just this race at this point anyway.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Some of you are over-complicating this rule to your own disadvantage. Just look at this way: a race-long gentleman's agreement for pack leaders not to hog the left-most lane. I hope the rule will make the race more interesting, but we'll see what happens.

If you're a single car running around and a freight train is coming, then you're not leading that pack. If you're a single car and another car is getting smaller in your mirror, then it's not drafting behind you and you're not leading a pack. In both cases, there is no requirement to be in one spot or the other.

A pack may be slightly slower by moving one lane to the right, but it doesn't really matter. The speed is relative to other cars, not to your lap times under a different set of rules. The entire field is dealing with the same situation, so you're not losing anything to anyone.

I also don't understand the disadvantages one pack experiences when trying to catch another pack. If anything, the rule enables more passing for the lead, so if one group of cars remains organized then they should be able to catch up faster than without the rule in place. If the pack they're trailing also stays organized, then what has actually changed before and after the rule? Both packs are trying to run as fast as they can. It's a moot issue.

I chose the word "flexible" as a means to reduce the paranoia about the rule and penalties. Does anyone really expect us to penalize you for staying left when we see that you subsequently enter pit road after turn 4? If the league as a whole had any clue about how lenient we are with most of the rules, then it would be easier not to chuckle about things like this. I'm glad it was brought up, but not for the right reasons...fear over the admins greedily waiting for a moment to throw down a penalty. I'm sure there are numerous ways to abuse the rule, but its intent should be straightforward.
it will make some of the penalty decisions wrong without recourse
No, I can gaurantee you that the penalties that are assigned will not be imaginative stretches. There may be instances in which it's unclear whether or not a car is actually leading a pack at a particular instant in time, but penalties will only happen when a drawn-out series of actions has no chance of passing any reasonable smell test. We don't look first for penalties, we look first for anything that would prevent a driver from receiving one.
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

glad you defined "flexible" as it would apply to penalties. no need to split hairs about 1 lane up on the backstretch as, in practice, i found as a leader i could come off turn 2 high or the setup (loose) or whatever, caused me to exit lower, then drift up. nothing intentional there, these cars tend to "float" sometimes in the draft.

Overall, I like it, should make for a fun race. as long as everyone is clear of the intent and doesn't, yes I'll say it, cheat, to gain some immediate advantage; "Screw it, I'm not gonna win anyways! And I suck so points be damned!" they say. That shit just chaps my ass lol. :evil:
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

d3efan wrote:That shit just chaps my ass
lmao
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

Well as this forum comes to a head, and hopefully an end. I knew I could get you worked up lepage :wink: No hard feelings. If you read between the other lines...........I complemented you and basically don't have a problem with it. :badgrin:
bmxtwins
League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

only more gas mileage by going 1 lane higher.. for us sprinters shouldnt matter as we demonstrated at talladega cts... all u fuelies ran out!!! :badgrin: