Need Help..Just took my NASCAR HEAT out of mothballs

Registered usernames are not required to post messages in this forum.
DreamRyder

Need Help..Just took my NASCAR HEAT out of mothballs

Post by DreamRyder »

G'Day,

I just took my copy of NASCAR HEAT for the PC out of mothballs (its been over 6 years!).

I installed it today, & finally got it running. I remembered a tad bit, but mostly I'm as virgin as the driven snow! :lol:

My bigest problem is seting it up so I can drive via my joystick without massive problems. I cant for the life of me find the bloody directions booklet. I probably placed it somewhere way back when---maybe before I even moved here from the States to Australia March 2002!?

I ain't no spring chicken--60 is lookin' way to bloody close for my liking!

So, without goin off again, what I'm lookin' for is the game directions booklet. Is there a place where I can get my grubby mitts on it? Id then sit myself down & figure it all out.

OR

Can somebody please let me know what all the ADVANVED Control thingies mean & suggest where I might set them to start off. If I had good directions I'd be more than happy to learn it all again myself. If I remember correctly there were a lot of things I could do to modify everything, but without something I can read, digest, & shake up my memories, Im bloody lost!

Thanks for whatever help you can afford,

Bobby,,,AKA,,,DreamRyderX (Which will someday be my username fer real once I'm <gulp> accepted :lol: )
howdy

Re: Need Help..Just took my NASCAR HEAT out of mothballs

Post by howdy »

There is a README.TXT file and a manual in the RUN folder on the CDROM itself,(go into My computers from windows and read the heat CD itself) which basically tells you what you need for the game controls. There is also the ADVANCED.TXT and PATCH.TXT files on your harddrive in the main Heat folder.
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

In the main Nascar heat folder u will find a file named "options .cfg". left click it and open it with notepad .this is a user file that can be used to fine tune settings, other options etc. You will want to enable "Hard core" mode by changing the word "no" after it to "yes".Lots of fun stuff to mess with in here. Make sure you save a backup copy of the original in case you monkey it up to badly. Most of it is self explanatory and common sense
DreamRyderX
Forum Member

Post by DreamRyderX »

Thanks fer the replies, the both of you were very helpful. :)

BTW....howdy,,,I looked in the CD & I found the readme, but the manual...well thats a mystery. Do you mind a bit more detail on that one? Thanks ;)
"You win some, you lose some, you wreck some" - Dale #3
Howdy

Post by Howdy »

DreamRyderX wrote:Thanks fer the replies, the both of you were very helpful. :)

BTW....howdy,,,I looked in the CD & I found the readme, but the manual...well thats a mystery. Do you mind a bit more detail on that one? Thanks ;)

On the original NascarHeat CD, You should find a folder called "Manual." Read the info inside of it.
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

I have the orig cd and I dont have a Manual folder either, hmmmmm

What would you like to know? Most here are extremely helpful, some are not. I'm sure any questions u may have can be answered right here.
DaveO
League Member

Post by DaveO »

Like Reef said most everyone here will help you out. If you have any questions ask anyone from LOD, or send me a PM, always obliged to help out a fellow simracer. :grin: .

Also check out the attached file.
Attachments
advanced.txt
(32.61 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
NHRL 2012 Cup & NBS Champion. 2013 CTS Champion & Cup Champion. 31 Wins, 26 Poles, and 2,126 laps led!
bmxtwins
League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

i have the original manual.

What is the exact thing u need to know? I can take a picture of the page if i have too
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

dont
DreamRyderX
Forum Member

Post by DreamRyderX »

Well, I have been toying around with the program. Hit & miss, succeed & fail. Thats the approach I've been taking, but my knowledge needs to get deeper by knowing "exactly" what things are & what they do.

So here is a little list I've compiled & I hope y'all can help me:

OPTIONS

What exactly is AUTO REVERSE?
What exactly is AUTO SHIFTING?

ADVANCED OPTIONS

What exactly is a DEAD SPOT, & how should I be expected to adjust it?
What exactly is OVERSHOOT, & how should I be expected to adjust it?
What exactly is NON-LINEAR STEERING, & how should I be expected to adjust it?

CLICK-OFFS

What exactly is AUTOCLUTCH?
What exactly is RS SHIFTER & 4SPD?
What exactly is GAMEPAD?
What exactly is SUPERSAMPLING?
What exactly is SMOOTHING?

PAINT KIT

Where are the editing commands I traditionally find in a Paint program?
Are there any----over & above the click ons?

Lets say I put an Eagle decal, any decal for that matter, on my car, can I grab & move it,
or change my mind & remove it complete? How?
Can I use my own "cliparts" & use them as decals for my car? If I can, how?
Can I paint the spoiler? If so, how?
Can I save my creations & call upon them in the future? I I can, how?

Just for your information, I have never attempted doing this before in Nascar Heat, so consider me a complete novice regarding this program.

If you provide me detailed answers to my questions I know I can do exactly what you suggest providing you don't leave any critical steps out, or to vague to understand.

Thanks,,,Bobby ;)
DreamRyderX
Forum Member

Post by DreamRyderX »

BTW,,,the above list of questions are just for starters & I'm sure I will have many, many more! :badgrin:
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

and dont forget to turn left .... most of the time lol :grin:
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

Auto Reverse keep that off. Use a seperate button for that.
Auto Shifting: just like the automatic tranny in a car, does it all by itself.

Dead Spot: Helps when your steering input is to sensitive. To decrease sensitivity, increase dead spot.
Overshoot: compensates for an input device that isn't sensitive enough.
Non_Linear Steering: Smooths out the jerkiness of the steering input from non linear controllers such as a keyboard.

Autoclutch is exactly what it says. Transmission uses an automatic clutch. ( I use it)
RS Shifter/ 4 SPD: Only check this if you are using a seperate shifter such as the Act Labs or SST shifters.
Gamepad: Only check this if you are using a gamepad.
Supersampling: "Samples" your input device at high rates to obtain the most accurate readings. It is known to slow the game some on low end pc's.
Smoothing: Levels or smooths the input from your device.

Paintkit: STAY AWAY FROM THE INGAME PAINT KIT!!!! Cars painted in paintkit cause online warp.
If you want to paint a car, templates are provided on the website under the downloads section, and use a seperate paint program such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.

Hope this helps
DreamRyderX
Forum Member

Post by DreamRyderX »

Reef wrote: Supersampling: "Samples" your input device at high rates to obtain the most accurate readings. It is known to slow the game some on low end pc's.
Smoothing: Levels or smooths the input from your device.

Paintkit: STAY AWAY FROM THE INGAME PAINT KIT!!!! Cars painted in paintkit cause online warp.
If you want to paint a car, templates are provided on the website under the downloads section, and use a seperate paint program such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.

Hope this helps
Yes it does a bit, thanks heaps. The above 2 items (SUPRESAMPLING & SMOOTHING) are going to be what I play with next.

As far as Painting, well what do you suggest I use,,I have Photoshop CS2 Extended.
Are there any tutorials--for Photoshop--that you would highly recommend I use? I will definitely need some in depth guidance. If you don't know or are unsure, who might you suggest that I ask---a standout in the area of painting?

Thanks again,,Bobby ;)
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

Just do a search for some different kinds of tutorials foor Photoshop. Tons of em out there. Most important thing to learn is layering.
DreamRyderX
Forum Member

Post by DreamRyderX »

Ok,,,maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm a newbie to NASCAR HEAT. I know Photoshop to a fair degree--layering is kids stuff.

I was asking you, being you are a Forum Admin & suggested Photoshop in the first place, who of the many you know that you would suggest that I contact in order to find tutorials related to NASCAR HEAT---utilizing Photoshop---to paint cars with.

I'm sure it requires a high degree of learning to accomplish a finished project successfully, so it would go far beyond just learning about layering, for I already know that & haven't a clue about painting a car, for NASCAR HEAT, with it.

Hope that makes what I need clearer?

Thanks,,,,Bobby ;)
Skoty Speed
League Administrator

Post by Skoty Speed »

Painting cars for Heat really isnt all that complicated. All you need is a template, which can be found here.... http://www.nascarheatracingleague.com/d ... templates/

If you know your way around Photoshop like you say you do, learning to paint a car for Heat should be a breeze for ya. Just open the template of your choice. You see everything on the template is in layers. Create a paint scheme and make the one layer. Add garphics, numbers, really whatever you'd like to the car, making each thing you add a new layer. Layers are very helpful if you need to edit something later. Just open a template and play around with it, its really not that hard to figure out.
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

This may have been more appropriat for a private message, but here goes. With all the questions we get (and I by the way would like answered without bugging someone or wasting their time), can we get one of our painters to do a forum on it. The forum could include downloads and the proper templates and software for converting the files, links to recommended programs for painting (like free versions), and a basic tutorial on how the whole process works. I know these things have been posted in the past, but I can't find what I need, and it would be nice to have it all in one place and current. I appreciate your enthusiasm BMX, but please let the professionals respond to this. :lol:
DaveO
League Member

Post by DaveO »

groverhardt wrote:This may have been more appropriat for a private message, but here goes. With all the questions we get (and I by the way would like answered without bugging someone or wasting their time), can we get one of our painters to do a forum on it. The forum could include downloads and the proper templates and software for converting the files, links to recommended programs for painting (like free versions), and a basic tutorial on how the whole process works. I know these things have been posted in the past, but I can't find what I need, and it would be nice to have it all in one place and current. I appreciate your enthusiasm BMX, but please let the professionals respond to this. :lol:
Grove I think your idea of having a forum about this is an excellent idea. I've tried painting in the past, and I suck at it!! (plus i have no creativity for painting lol) Would enjoy learning more about this myself..
NHRL 2012 Cup & NBS Champion. 2013 CTS Champion & Cup Champion. 31 Wins, 26 Poles, and 2,126 laps led!
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

I hate being needy, asking someone to do it. I would love to do it myself, but like Dream, I forgot too much during my couple year hiatus. I didn't so much do the paint, but I did do the multiplayer fix on MP Pocono that is probably the same one we use. That's all for naught now tho. If it helps my petition....I just need a little direction to get going and figure it out from there. It doesn't have to involve massive logistics. I hate getting with someone personally too, like Bover, who's already sacrificed more than enough of his time on COT and paints (bless his heart). I already lost one wife over it, so I sympathize. :badgrin: I just think it would be a nice addition to our league's website. After all, NHRL is nascar heat central. The go to site on the entire internet for nascar heat and it's mods. Besides, I know Lepage likes to refer people to what's already answered on the website. Cuts down on the chatter right? :lol: