Secondary Review Request

General announcements and discussion about the league rules page.
efgordon
League Member

Secondary Review Request

Post by efgordon »

when? rulebook says within a week of updated results. are they updated yet? or is that another oxymoron?
lepage71
League Administrator

Re: Secondary Review Request

Post by lepage71 »

Once you see the results on the website you can request a secondary review. The results and penalties are not always 100% accurate because we like putting them up early so that everyone can see the race information.
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

lepage71 wrote:Once you see the results on the website you can request a secondary review. The results and penalties are not always 100% accurate because we like putting them up early so that everyone can see the race information.
well, lets just say mine are not 100% accurate at the moment. i understand the situation though. i'll check again in a few days so hopefully i wont have to waste the court's time with my request.
Skoty Speed
League Administrator

Post by Skoty Speed »

Which penalty are you refering to?

Maybe I can answer any questions you have.
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

#7: driving in the incorrect pit road lane on lap 42 (-5 points)

This picture is a snapshot of my game during my 2nd stop on lap 42. This is not some spot on pitroad where i cherry picked my furthest outside position. This was the furthest point i could find to the left, giving full benefit of the doubt to the league. The car with the red x is the car that got a penalty. The car with the green check mark is the same lane i used for every other pitstop this weekend with no penalties. The outside "lane" is not an exact science. There is no defined out of bound or inbounds definitions in terms of measurement. The line in the rule that states "Please leave adequate room "beneath the outside lane" so that other drivers can enter and exit their own pit stalls without complication" clearly demonstrates this is a rule of interpretation by use of the word "adequate". In essence, i was penalized for being less than half of my car width off of someone else's interpretation of the rules.

The rulebook also says "the rules do not constrain the administrators; in most cases, common sense should be observed."
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

:ezboardwink :ezboardwink :ezboardwink Look at all them Hooters! :ezboardwink :ezboardwink :ezboardwink
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

With that many hooters, you're bound to have a problem somewhere.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Ef, in this circumstance you were on the razor-thin edge between penalty and non-penalty. At Daytona, we tried giving everyone the largest break possible...it might not seem that way, but there could have been over 100 penalties if we followed the rules to the exact wording. We penalized all drivers who were not at least TOUCHING the outside lane marker during their cruise down pit road. The rules state that you must be in the outside lane on pit road. On oval courses this is the furthest-right lane. I completely understand that, for this particular pit stop, such a difference seems silly, especially on an empty pit road and when compared to your other pit stop. However, some boundary has to be drawn by the officials or we cannot assess penalties fairly among all the drivers. We can't just keep extending the imaginary "leniency line" because there's always going to be someone else stepping up to the podium, explaining how close they truly were to what is acceptable. I hope this makes sense... :?

Last season, similar pit road rules were in place (including the outside lane requirement), but we did not penalize drivers for being in the incorrect lane unless their being in the incorrect lane caused an unnecessary accident or collision. This year, regardless of whether or not incidents were caused by violating the lane rule, drivers face penalties for ignoring the guidelines.

The rules might seem complicated, but they're actually really simple. If everyone knows the outside lane (right or left depending on the course) is the standard - understood by all competitors - on pit road, then the possibility of accidents (as well as penalties) is much lower. In addition, those collisions that do happen will be less likely to involve penalties because they're more likely to be accidents provided the drivers involved were in the proper lanes. In contrast, if you're in the wrong pit road lane and a collision happens, it's just about an instant 10-pointer (5 for driving down the wrong lane plus 5 for creating an accident on top of that).

Finally, referring to Reef's question in another post, two drivers may be side-by-side on pit road, putting one driver off of the outside lane, but both drivers should be reasonably positioned to the right (the rules mention this situation). On certain road courses this would be to the left. At Daytona, "reasonable" was both cars driving on the right half of pit road...leaving a large enough lane on the left for a car to exit its pit box. A side-by-side situation does NOT mean that one driver goes to the outside lane while the other hugs the pit stalls.

We encourage everyone to post questions about the pitting rules, since we did not receive many responses after Skoty's post beforehand. When in doubt, however, checking your mirrors and surroundings, driving with awarness, and being to the right (or left on certain road courses) are ALWAYS solutions to avoid penalties.
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

fix my points. i got 4th and led a lap. you gotta take away alot more than 10 points from me to get to 165. you already got enough blood from me this week.

dont go soft next week either.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

I think our points code is also deducting 07's penalties from you...we'll fix that

Next week is the debut of the "four-tire rule" so so we might not have trouble keeping up the slack. :grin:
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

lepage71 wrote:I think our points code is also deducting 07's penalties from you...we'll fix that

Next week is the debut of the "four-tire rule" so so we might not have trouble keeping up the slack. :grin:
Computers, much like myself, only want to do what they are told, just slightly faster than the next guy. The only requirement is the instructions must be precise.

It is no co-incidence that one week into the season we both are hollering for you to "stop over complicating things"
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

we're starting to tread into dangerous territory here now with the "touching" and soon "4 tire rule." i still havent gotten an explanation for my penalty either. i WAS outside the [pit lane] line but thought another car was in the way. I feel i should be commended, not penalized. just what are we to do when another car comes around you and forces you over and outside the pit lane, or you enter the pit road 3 wide? knock 'em out of the way? or just stay out of the way until we can blend, which is what i was doing. and if 100 penalties could have been given, why weren't they? this whole deal could be going a little too far anyways i think. i can see a car flagrantly cruising right next to pitting/exiting cars getting a penalty. but dont be so stuck in the rules that a person trying to do the right thing gets the shaft just because it's in the rule book.