Watkins Glen

General announcements and discussion about the league rules page.
Reef
League Member

Watkins Glen

Post by Reef »

In the next few weeks, we will be visiting Watkins Glen. I have made a couple small videos to show the correct and incorrect ways of navigating the inner loop.

When we review the replays, if we see any of the incorrect lines done in repetivive fashion, or done to gain postion, you will be penalized. Please take the time to view and be prepared.

Correct way
Incorrect way
lepage71
League Administrator

Re: Watkins Glen

Post by lepage71 »

Thanks for posting this Reef; with Heat footage streaming clearly (for once), we could add videos about many different things in the future.

Season after season, someone does not recognize how much they are truly cutting across the right-side grass area. This could hypothetically include certain unnamed members of Team BBFF. This video should clear any 2007 confusion. Of course, based on a wild guess, the rules page might also merit investigation.
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

i cant see the video. i am technically challenged. how bout some pictures?
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

It is a window media file, I'll try to convert it to mpeg later tonight
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

You should be able to upload those files to the forum...that way, the files stay there forever, rather than relying on Yahoo's junk.
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

i tried that and forum wouldnt let me do it, unrecognized file format
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

Ef, do you have windows media player?
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

i can view it from home, just not from work. thanks. so all 4 tires on the track at all times? or errrrrr consistantly? what about that very narrow patch of grass between the very first part of the turns and the wall? is this a change from previous years? and last but not least... why are we talking bout watkins when michigan is next?
DaveO
League Member

Post by DaveO »

efgordon wrote: why are we talking bout watkins when michigan is next?
LMAO @ EF.. cya on the track for some practice, Monday after work!! :grin:
NHRL 2012 Cup & NBS Champion. 2013 CTS Champion & Cup Champion. 31 Wins, 26 Poles, and 2,126 laps led!
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

I wanted to mention this early enough so there will be no excuses come race time. Pre-planning.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

I enabled media files as an "allowed extension" on the forum. I think I covered most file types, but let me know if you can't attach a certain media file.
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

can we get a full speed legal and illegal example?

how bout the first part, can we still go 4 tires on the grass between the road and wall going into there? for some reason i remember that being ok.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

We allowed it a couple times several seasons ago, hoping it would avoid wrecks in that spot, but it became more abused than anything. So, like last season, it's not allowed (and never will be again).
DaveO
League Member

Post by DaveO »

lepage71 wrote:We allowed it a couple times several seasons ago, hoping it would avoid wrecks in that spot, but it became more abused than anything. So, like last season, it's not allowed (and never will be again).
=D> =D> =D> \:D/

EF, this is from the rules page. hope this help's you out bud..

Competitors must keep at least two wheels on the racing surface. When the league administrators review races, drivers are allowed to break this rule several times, but consistent offenders can expect penalties.

[b]At Watkins Glen, drivers must not cut the inner loop. In addition, competitors should be careful when approaching the first turn. The front straight produces high speeds and drivers must not ram cars from behind. If a driver cannot complete turn 1 due to high speed, then he must avoid contact with other cars. Do not punt someone else into the infamous turn 1 bunker![/b]
NHRL 2012 Cup & NBS Champion. 2013 CTS Champion & Cup Champion. 31 Wins, 26 Poles, and 2,126 laps led!
efgordon
League Member

Post by efgordon »

well i dont drive that turn fast enough for it to be a concern. i'll run my 1:14.00 laps and be satisfied with whatever that gets me. i was just asking cause i kinda remembered the talk about it a couple of years ago. its all good.
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

I will post some at speed vids later tonight
DaveO
League Member

Post by DaveO »

lepage71 wrote:We allowed it a couple times several seasons ago, hoping it would avoid wrecks in that spot, but it became more abused than anything. So, like last season, it's not allowed (and never will be again).
Lepage is correct, years past they had lighten up on the rules at WG. But over the last few seasons it was really abused when guys tried passing other guys in the grass to get a better position, most of the time it would just cause unnecssary wrecks.... You really need use your head, have alot of patience, and also have track awareness on this track. In better words be smart and make good decisions, and I can only say practice, practice and more practice, it makes for a more enjoyable race for everyone!!!
CR49
League Member

Post by CR49 »

I hope we can all keep from having too many problems.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

We as a league have had some pretty darn good races at the glenn. It's a fun RC because it's easy to memorize and a good RC for beginners.

Tips for rookies:

1. Practice Practice Practice! the way to sucess at an RC is to memorize the track.

2. Speed isn't all it's cracked up to be. Don't worry about the superstars running 1:10's when ur running 1:13's and 14's. It's better to finish 10th with a 10th place car then to finish 20th by trying to get 5th with it. Better to loose a second in the corner than loose 10 seconds in the sand trap.

3. Respect your competitors. Don't punt someone into the sandtrap by going into the corner too hot. Don't out drive your equipment or your abilities.

4. Lastly... DRINKING AND DRIVING CAN KILL A RACECAR! lol. Had to sneak that one in. 8)
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Amen! Can i get a witness! Extra emphasis on #4. I was intoxicated @ last years Sears point weekend. Tip: tighten er up if u been drinkin. :wink: