Special Request

General announcements, discussion, and rumors about the league.
bover907
League Administrator

Re: Special Request

Post by bover907 »

Weather you have DSL or Cable or whatever, what's more important for Heat, and most gaming is not download, but upload speed. My DSL is 3MB down, but only 384KB up. I've even seen some cable that boasts 10MB or 20MB download speed. However, when you inquire about upload, or find it int the fine print, it is most certainly MUCH MUCH lower, i.e. 10MB down / 728KB up, or 20MB down / 1Mb up.

There is nothing at all speedy can do except keep bitching at Century Link, and hope they change something. He could luck out switching to cable, or his cable connection could have the same lag problem with the NHRL server.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Hammer
League Member

Post by Hammer »

Just steal someone's internet.

Yea I said it.
In Reef we trust.
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Prior to the Cal race ,I changed to a different DNS server,and am experimenting ,tho so far changing hasn't made much of a difference,and don't think that changing dns servers makes a difference as route still has to leave phx and continues to go west 1st.
ucrdoh
Forum Member

Post by ucrdoh »

I use CenturyLink, and don't have many problems, at least no one has said I have. I live in Portland OR, so mine probably routes through seattle, then goes east. Overall technically speaking, DSL has the superior architecture, the same architecture that FIOS uses. So I get very consistent speeds, whereas cable can greatly increase or decrease based upon the time of day.

Rookie is right about the fact if the phone company doesn't invest, like using repeaters to re-amplify the system, the Internet speed will suffer for it, and right now they have no incentive to make it better.