Help with wireless router

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
Ramrock47
League Member

Help with wireless router

Post by Ramrock47 »

I have a wireless router and a while back bov was telling me somthing about somone outside my house being able to tap into and use my router without me knowing it, if this is true,, how can I find out if this is happening and how can I keep it from happening?
Ramrock47
bmxtwins
League Member

Re: Help with wireless router

Post by bmxtwins »

If your router is password protected then you should be fine.

If not try going to this URL: 192.168.1.1 and enter your user and password for your internet login. Check Security or general info and you can set a secured WEP Key that will only allow people who know it to have access.

Try searching on google: how to set a WEP TKIP key for (Your router name)

Just some past experience. I have a linksys now sure if it is the same process as your router.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mustangman759
League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

hey russ are you runnign wireless while racing or wired (you tend to lag id suggest to run wired if you arnt.)
revolutionaryracing.forumotion.com
revmediahub.gt3tcc.500servers.net
Ramrock47
League Member

Post by Ramrock47 »

My router is a netgear wireless suplied by my cable compony, they came out and installed it,.and as far as I know it is password protected because he had me put in a password to finish the installasion prosess. But heres the thing that got my attention,..I was talking to my next door neighbor yesterday and he said that out of respect he wanted to know if he could use my router for an internet conection,.and I said WHAT!! hell no you cant, and he said well it dosnt matter I can still do it, I was just trying to repecfuly get your permision,..You dont want to know what I told him after that,..or maybe you do but I cant say those things here on the forums,..Man I was soooooo pissed,..is it possible for him to do that?
Ramrock47
Ramrock47
League Member

Post by Ramrock47 »

mustangman759 wrote:hey russ are you runnign wireless while racing or wired (you tend to lag id suggest to run wired if you arnt.)
No,...my computer dosnt connect through the router,..only my sons computer,.I have a direct connection.
Ramrock47
bmxtwins
League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

Well delete your known wireless settings try to connect and see if it comes up with a password confirmation thingy. If it does then u can go rub it in his face. If it doesnt call your company and ask them to walk you through it. The key could be somewheres on the router itself, my neighbor has that.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Russ, with so many router makes, models and types, it's hard to tell you how to find out if your wireless connection is secured, and how secured it is. While BMX is trying to be helpful, I believe, Don't do as he said, and go deleting any of your computers' wireless settings. (BMX, you have to remember that not everyone is as computer saavy as you are, and may not be able to recover from a 'change in settings' that you recommend).

What I'd do Russ, is call road-runner and have them make sure your network is secured. (Most laws don't make it a crime to piggyback a wifi connection unless it's secured.) If Road-Runner won't help you with that, then you have to research how to do it with your make/model of router. Most routers have a manual, that came with them, or on their website.

Everyone should secure their wireless network!
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

man it sure was quiet round here.....
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

I support Bover and TTR first of all :laughing The easiest thing is making sure your router is set to secured. Most routers require a rediculous code number to access them if they are secured. Some require only a password. Like Bover kinda said, if your router is secured then no one should be able to get on it without the password or code. I got my computers hard wired to the router, but it's simultaniously wireless capable too. Mine is secured. I access it wireless through a wireless computer and my wii, which both required the security code.
bmxtwins
League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

Reef wrote:man it sure was quiet round here.....
bover907 wrote:By the way, I should warn everyone about the conduct guidlines set forth in this thread:
http://www.nascarheatracingleague.com/f ... =13#p36471
2. A pointless or spam-like comment intended to provoke an angered response.

There are multiple parties guilty of this, and we will tighten up these things in the future. (Note also that this can apply to spam via server pm's, or any other medium if we recieve proof of this)
Anyways Russ I hope you get this solved. I try to help and hope you can find your control panel.
Ramrock47
League Member

Post by Ramrock47 »

Ok guys, I thank you all very much for the input,.I will be calling Road Runner and finding out whats going on with the secureity part of this router,.they are supposed to be maintaining that, along with a password on my end. If I have to, I'll go to a hardline router,..I do have one,..Its just a pain in the a$$ because his computer is so far away from mine,..hes at the other end of the house,.lol,...thats about 100 feet of cable. Anyway,.thanks guys.
Ramrock47
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

I think you can say ass in the forum Russ, lol. Your neighbor just thinks he's one of those really smart computer guys but probably watches too much TV. Although, if they can get close enough, someone CAN connect to your wireless network if not protected. Highly unlikely if you don't tell them about it.

Does Shawn have a cable outlet in his computer area? Why not just get another cable modem (Radio Shack) and connect him straight into the wall? I was thinking about doing that on Jr's computer. Does anyone know how that would affect the overall quality of the feed?
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Dan, I think that would be about the same as the other computer using your wireless connection as far as bandwidth goes. Whenever you share another connection, it depends on what each computer is doing. Downloading or uploading a large file for instance, would cripple the other computer's internet connection while this is going on.

Russ, the best way to tell if your WIFI is secured is to use the kid's computer to scan wireless connections within range. It'll actually say "security enabled wireless network". You can see two networks on the screenshot from my kid's computer. It's connected to my network, and the other is the lady across the street. Her's used to be an unsecured network named "Ellen" but I get she got wiser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Petty43
League Member

Post by Petty43 »

2. A pointless or spam-like comment intended to provoke an angered response.

groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

neighbor lady...frontier.... :meanlaughter
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

is that the "Final Frontier?"
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

As in Frontier Communications. That tells me that the ISP must've set it up for her.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Ramrock47
League Member

Post by Ramrock47 »

bover907 wrote:Dan, I think that would be about the same as the other computer using your wireless connection as far as bandwidth goes. Whenever you share another connection, it depends on what each computer is doing. Downloading or uploading a large file for instance, would cripple the other computer's internet connection while this is going on.

Russ, the best way to tell if your WIFI is secured is to use the kid's computer to scan wireless connections within range. It'll actually say "security enabled wireless network". You can see two networks on the screenshot from my kid's computer. It's connected to my network, and the other is the lady across the street. Her's used to be an unsecured network named "Ellen" but I get she got wiser.
LOL you guys are cards man,...and bov, I did check and it is a security enabled wireless network and I didnt see any other wireless networks on there. So apparently Mark is full of shit,.he would need my password to use my router. and if Shawns connection through the router gets to bad or is not good enough to race then I will let him run the nbs races on my computer and I will just run the cup races. He and I have already talked about that.
Ramrock47
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

I can't see you two racing simultaneously being a problem... One person browsing or downloading/uploading files while the other is racing would definately be a problem though.

If you two were both racing at the same time, I'd try to keep the ventrilo stuff down to a minimum.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Ramrock47
League Member

Post by Ramrock47 »

Well I am the only one that runs ventrilo right now, should I stop running ventrilio so that it improves his connection? if so I will,..I just want Shawn to have a fair chanse in the league,.hes already useing a crapy wheel,..somthing I had stashed in the closet,..hes willing to show you guys what he can do even with the crapy wheel and he will be there friday night, even though I have been bustin his chops with his behaver and knowing surtin things about racing in the league, setups and what not, any way he is a rookie and he wants to learn,..if wores comes to wores I will let him use my wheel.
Ramrock47