Have to have steering wheel for CTS?

Registered usernames are not required to post messages in this forum.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Re: Have to have steering wheel for CTS?

Post by Rookiesrock »

If you can control driving with a stick door to door without wrecking anybody then you'll be fine. While this is an inviting polite league, it is very competitive and very close racing in large groups of cars. This is not a league where you learn how to drive during the race or during final practice. If you have such little respect for others that you would expect a race to be your training ground at otheres expense then shame on you.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

We highly recommend everyone to compete with a steering wheel and pedals. However, if you can race with some other device and not cause problems, then we certainly won't deny you entry into the league.

In most cases, it takes more practice (and patience) to get approved without a wheel or pedals.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

doyle wrote:For those of you fortunate enough to have a wheel and pedals wanted fairness when you started here. Do not down people who do not and want a fair shot at this. Some of us have bills to pay which comes before pc's and games! Not everyone can just blow money on a wheel. We can do quite well with what we got thank you. Just takes practice. Besides, it is ONLY a game. If i cannot get in the league over this then I know that I am better off elsewhere and shame on you.
Perhaps I am misinterpreting the above, but I don't believe I am. My question is, WHO ARE YOU to come into the forum of an invitation only league and lambast it's membership and/or administration for their guidlines???

While we can all DEFINATELY sympathize with the idea of bills (i.e. 4 teenage kids, one in college, and second one starting college this fall, not to mention Mortgage, Car Payment, etc. im my case) I SURELY do not consider it ANYONE ELSE'S problem, nor do I expect anyone to feel sorry for me!

The membership of this league are a very helpful and polite group of people, who will help anyone get started, and pointed in the right direction, but not if someone comes in here and instantly rubs everyone the wrong way.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
doyle
Forum Member

Post by doyle »

No I do not want people to feel sorry for me. Everyone has bills to pay. If you don't then one day you will wake up saying, "OMG! I got bills to pay today!!!" That is simply life. I apologize for rubbing a few the wrong way. I simply afraid of the fact I couldn't get in without a wheel and pedals. Do not get me wrong. I would like to get my hands on a set. For the time being I have what I have. Sometimes I let my own fears get in the way. Everyone can speak their mind. I do. No I wasn't meaning to bash people in the forum. I like to race. I wouldn't race any other simulator than Nascar Heat.
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

Doyle, for the cost of a few cases of beer or cartons of cigarettes, you can still find the MS Sidewinder out there. It's cheap now too. I've been running with one for 10 years now. I'd love to get a new wheel, but I can't justify it either right now. Hope this helps. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. It's just that we want to maintain the caliber of racing, which can't be done without certain minimal recommendations. It's up to you what you can afford or want bad enough. I can get a new Sidewinder for the price of one of my lawn applications, or a box of my nicotene gum, etc., but I'm not going to be pressured into having to get a 200-300+ dollar wheel, which incidently those that have, haven't had them last as long as my Sidewinder without repairs that I've heard of. If you can compete at the level we try to maintain with whatever your using, more power to ya, but I don't think any of us have seen someone be successful or happy without a wheel in this league.
mustangman759
League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

not 100% true grove i could name my teamate who won using a controller (ps2 i think) and i believe CR and or blacklfag also use a controller on some tracks its all about feel but a wheel defietly gives you the best options.
revolutionaryracing.forumotion.com
revmediahub.gt3tcc.500servers.net
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

One of the best heat racers that ever existed was a guy named Rusty T Bass. I can't quite remember exactly his situation, but Rusty either had lost his legs, or the use of his legs. Either way, he was able to race, and win with a keyboard. I'm sure it wasn't easy, and took a lot of practice, but it can be done.

It's just when people pass judgements, or say things like "shame on you" and things like that when I get set off sometimes. People fail to remember that the leagues who are out here, for whatever sim/game, have the right to set their own rules and guidlines, and it's up to those interested in joining to conform to them.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Mustang wrote
not 100% true grove i could name my teamate who won using a controller (ps2 i think)
Maybe you could tell me who your teamate was that won with a controller at an NHRL event? More crap stats from a youngin. If I race calvin, smoke and green51 and win with a keyboard, does that put me on the LLM stat sheet? Or even the stat radar?
Please let us keep this discussion about wheels. I still don't know anyone that has won @ NHRL with a joystick. A keyboard yes, but not a joystick or game pad. I might be wrong but I'm willing to take the chance of being wrong so I don't have to accept your word for fact.
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

bover907 wrote:One of the best heat racers that ever existed was a guy named Rusty T Bass. I can't quite remember exactly his situation, but Rusty either had lost his legs, or the use of his legs. Either way, he was able to race, and win with a keyboard. I'm sure it wasn't easy, and took a lot of practice, but it can be done.

It's just when people pass judgments, or say things like "shame on you" and things like that when I get set off sometimes. People fail to remember that the leagues who are out here, for whatever sim/game, have the right to set their own rules and guidelines, and it's up to those interested in joining to conform to them.
Biggy, who was on teamCEM (doZer & my old team) back in 2006 won the Daytona Shootout using a wheel to steer & buttons to accelerate, he is paralyzed from the hip down & drove better than the two of us while he was on our teams.

I know this is not exactly the same but it apples to bovers comments...
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
mustangman759
League Member

Post by mustangman759 »

Rookiesrock wrote:Mustang wrote
not 100% true grove i could name my teamate who won using a controller (ps2 i think)
Maybe you could tell me who your teamate was that won with a controller at an NHRL event? More crap stats from a youngin. If I race calvin, smoke and green51 and win with a keyboard, does that put me on the LLM stat sheet? Or even the stat radar?
Please let us keep this discussion about wheels. I still don't know anyone that has won @ NHRL with a joystick. A keyboard yes, but not a joystick or game pad. I might be wrong but I'm willing to take the chance of being wrong so I don't have to accept your word for fact.
green51=not LLM
Harding Jr= LLM , won watkins glen cup 09, also won many speedsims races
revolutionaryracing.forumotion.com
revmediahub.gt3tcc.500servers.net
fundyracer
Provisional Member

Post by fundyracer »

I`ve just joined recently and would like to get setup . Can anyone help me through this as `Dega is this weekend and i would love to race .
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

We don't race Talladega until 7.31.10.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

What reef said. Plus not to mention, The applicant process takes longer than a week, for sure.

Read what was on the signup page, Read thru the forum and also the schedule at the least.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
bmxtwins
League Member

Post by bmxtwins »

doyle wrote:No I do not want people to feel sorry for me. Everyone has bills to pay. If you don't then one day you will wake up saying, "OMG! I got bills to pay today!!!" That is simply life. I apologize for rubbing a few the wrong way. I simply afraid of the fact I couldn't get in without a wheel and pedals. Do not get me wrong. I would like to get my hands on a set. For the time being I have what I have. Sometimes I let my own fears get in the way. Everyone can speak their mind. I do. No I wasn't meaning to bash people in the forum. I like to race. I wouldn't race any other simulator than Nascar Heat.
Coming from a 15 yr/o: No offense but it takes me 1 hour to make 25 bucks in the summer. I don't work every day as its a rotating schedule but I'm sure you can come up with some extra money.
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

Bmxtwins wrote:
doyle wrote:No I do not want people to feel sorry for me. Everyone has bills to pay. If you don't then one day you will wake up saying, "OMG! I got bills to pay today!!!" That is simply life. I apologize for rubbing a few the wrong way. I simply afraid of the fact I couldn't get in without a wheel and pedals. Do not get me wrong. I would like to get my hands on a set. For the time being I have what I have. Sometimes I let my own fears get in the way. Everyone can speak their mind. I do. No I wasn't meaning to bash people in the forum. I like to race. I wouldn't race any other simulator than Nascar Heat.
Coming from a 15 yr/o: No offense but it takes me 1 hour to make 25 bucks in the summer. I don't work every day as its a rotating schedule but I'm sure you can come up with some extra money.
Where and how does a 15 yr/o get a $25 hour job with limited or no skills ...just wondering ...no offence
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Remember, a dollor is worth AT LEAST 4 times less then when we went around mowing lowns. We made $5 to $10 per lawn depending on size. I bet kids get a $25 spot easy for a lawn on a hot summer day now.

Want that pesky kid to never offer to cut your grass again? pay him a $5 here in 2010. Bet that keeps him from coming back.

All this is a moot point, since Doyle called us all bad names and said he was never coming back, as if it were our loss.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Reef
League Member

Post by Reef »

People need to check the dates on the posts, this one was outdated when it was replied to.
Ramrock47
League Member

Post by Ramrock47 »

I'm just going to say a few things,..# 1 as far as I know the rules give you a gideline on what kind of conection you need and what kind of controler you need to join the NHRL league,..#2 Doyle said he was useing a Saitek joy stick and he was useing the twist to turn the car, well the twist in that joy stick dosnt have the same turning raidius as a wheel or the keyboard,..that joy stick was made to control a Robot not a race car,..so when he twistes that Saitek joy stick to make that turn,..its like turning your wheel 1/2 or 3/4 of the way to make that turn,...thats why hes hitting the wall exiting the turns,..I know this because I have a Saitek joy stick that I use to play MechWarriors with and that type of game is what it was made for,..and as far as I'm concerned the twist acttion dosnt turn fast enough in a MechWarriors game,...much less a race car game,..It dosnt have enough turning raiius and it to damb slow. I could give you all more info on the Saitek joy stick but it would have nothing to do with a raceing game.
Ramrock47
Petty43
League Member

Post by Petty43 »

I use a commodore 64 keyboard. :laughing
Attachments
64.jpg
64.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 49038 times
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

gtsmqcnp[1].gif
gtsmqcnp[1].gif (8.58 KiB) Viewed 49029 times