Summer Ideas

General discussion, feedback, or ideas about improving the league.
lepage71
League Administrator

Summer Ideas

Post by lepage71 »

Compared to past seasons, we're running ahead of schedule in 2019, as far as the calendar goes.

We're now in June and the Cup Series, the second of our three main series, is nearing its conclusion. Last year, we started the Busch Series in August, so we might have some availability to do something different this summer, like a derby, an IROC Series, or the next Signature Event.

In recent years, we've often taken a mild summer break, from around late June to early August, with fewer main series events (but not none). However, if we are to do something different in 2019, then we first want to hear some ideas, whether its mods, tracks, formats, or schedules.

Let us know what we should add to the agenda! :-k
Speedyman11
League Member

Re: Summer Ideas

Post by Speedyman11 »

IROC series with the new mustang iroc mod. http://www.themodsquad.info/index.php?a ... ;down=1264
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

A derby series!
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Speedyman11 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:21 pm IROC series with the new mustang iroc mod. http://www.themodsquad.info/index.php?a ... ;down=1264
Does anyone have any IROC track suggestions? I'm thinking we should aim for some ovals that we don't visit often. Perhaps a road course, as well.
DusterLag wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm A derby series!
When it comes to derbies, the very notion of hosting an entire series is just deranged enough to be...a perfectly brilliant idea!!! It must be done.
Bandit
League Member

Post by Bandit »

lepage71 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:51 am
Does anyone have any IROC track suggestions? I'm thinking we should aim for some ovals that we don't visit often. Perhaps a road course, as well. wrote:
IROC ran half oval and half road course. Though most of the oval tracks we visit IROC already has, there are plenty out there such as Rockingham (US and UK version), unrestricted versions of Tally and Daytona, and Texas. For road courses IROC has only been to Riverside, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, and Daytona RC. Couple of tracks that might be fun could include Birmingham, Sonoma Carousal, Nurburgring Nordschleife (could be a fun challenge :meanlaughter), Road Atlanta, and Road America.

For other ideas, another endurance race could be fun. Maybe it can be a timed race instead of a set number of laps. Take for example the 6 Hours of The Glen. 6 laps would be over before if even started and 6 hours is a bit long so how about 60 Minutes of The Glen. Though results may be confusing, it could be more realistic to what IMSA actually runs. I would stay in the same mod and may allow GT1 into the mix (except for Speedy :mrgreen) and depending on the track. Most of the tracks listed above could work for this series/race as well.
- Bandit
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

CDRS Renegades http://www.dirtncracer.com/ Its not a dirt mod. Use the short tracks like Concord, Ocala_Speedway, Ace,Mesa Marin
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

For IROC, what does everyone think of a mid-to-late July starting date? We'd aim for 4-8 races in the series.

Like last season, I anticipate the Busch Series starting in August. So, portions of IROC may take place at the same time as Busch, but on a different day or at a different time, assuming it stretches past July into August. We may consider Saturday nights for IROC.

Also, pulling together various ideas, I've developed a list of some candidate tracks. Comments or thoughts?
  • Chicago
    Dayton
    IRP
    Miami (Original)
    Milwaukee
    New Hampshire
    North Wilkesboro
    Kansas
    Riverside
    Road Atlanta
    Rockingham (U.K.)
    Untona / Untally
    Watkins Mid-Ohio
I would have included Road America on the list but I suspect that it's going to appear on the Busch schedule.
d3efan
League Administrator

Post by d3efan »

I believe the track selection should be tracks either well know to everyone or those not familiar to anyone. Definitely a good 1.5 mile track, a road course and well known short track. I may be lobbying because of my unfamiliarity with some tracks currently being run at but how would you feel?
Bandit
League Member

Post by Bandit »

Gonna give a rating (1-10) on each track for an IROC series. NOTE: This is mostly personal opinion.
Chicago (4/10)
Dayton (9/10)
IRP (3/10)
Miami (Original) (5/10)
Milwaukee (5/10)
New Hampshire (1/10)
North Wilkesboro (4/10)
Kansas (4/10)
Riverside (8/10) [Depends on which version on Riverside since there are 3 versions for Heat]
Road Atlanta (9/10)
Rockingham (U.K.) (7/10)
Untona / Untally (10/10)
Watkins Mid-Ohio (8/10)
- Bandit
Speedyman11
League Member

Post by Speedyman11 »

I would replace Rockingham UK with the "new" memphis track.

http://www.themodsquad.info/index.php?a ... w;down=583
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Feel free to keep them coming.

I think we're getting closer to narrowing down the IROC track list. I'd agree with Bandit that New Hampshire can go. Instead, let's replace it with Milwaukee, which is also one mile. We haven't run there for awhile and I remember it being a solid place. Also, Memphis_OO looks quite good. I just ran a few test laps there. We'll add it, for sure. Plus, we could use a short track. For a road course, Mid-Ohio might fit well in that August 3 date. As far as race formats, I'm considering a few options. I'm expecting we'll have race lengths about 75% as long as our normal series events.

The IROC schedule will evolve until we make the official series announcement (about a week). You can see the current draft of the schedule here.
Bandit
League Member

Post by Bandit »

I-700 or Hickory could make good options for short tracks. Would replace Kansas with the short track race.
- Bandit
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Thanks for the lists.

We'll have opportunities to visit some additional short tracks in our upcoming events (like the Fall Festival). Perhaps we'll also host another short track series at some point. From what I can tell, the historical IROC series tended to stick to higher-speed places. So that will be the theme for our series. But it isn't absolute; we'll go to Memphis. And Milwaukee isn't too long. We'll be able to hit these new short tracks in future events.

As far as Kansas, or Chicago, let me review things. Both fit the general profile and I feel like we should go to them again after long absences.