Caution Flag Exhibition Race(s)

General announcements, discussion, and rumors about the league.
lepage71
League Administrator

Caution Flag Exhibition Race(s)

Post by lepage71 »

Starting this weekend, we'd like to host a couple of exhibition races to test out caution flags in NHRL. During these events, we'll go over how cautions work, things to expect, and some ideas that we have. Jesse Rathbun will be the caution-calling official. For those already familiar with his caution-flag league, Hardcore Motorsports, we'd be applying a similar approach if we decide to adopt cautions in NHRL.

We'll follow up with event details (mod, track, laps, etc.) after we've followed up with Jesse. One of the test races will likely be this Saturday (22nd) at 10:00 PM ET.

If you can, recruit others to participate, so that we can get a decent field (and some crashes) to test out yellows. :meanlaughter
Grumpy
League Member

Re: Caution Flag Exhibition Race(s)

Post by Grumpy »

Sounds Fun I will plan to attend. Can definitely create some yellow flags :)
Some Of My Best Friends Are People I Don't Even Know --- Long Live Heat
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Sounds good Grumpy, that's part of the idea with yellow flags. Drivers will have a chance to slip up but then make adjustments in the pits.

I haven't been able to get in touch with Jesse, but let's plan on running the race regardless. I'll be the caution car if needed. We'll explain the details of the caution flag rules in the server prior to the race. I've outlined a few important points below. Some of them differ a bit from Hardcore Motorsports.

Here are the event details:

• Date: Sat., Nov. 22nd
    Time: 10:00 PM ET
    Mod: NHRLC11
    Track: Atlanta
    Race Laps: 92
    Wear Factor: 3
Important caution flag rules:

• Under caution, lead-lap drivers and lapped-down drivers pit together
    Just one laps-down driver can receive the free lap pass during each caution flag
    You can request a caution flag typing "caution" or "yellow" (in points races, we'd review every caution for legitimacy, like we do for restarts)
    No caution flags can be thrown or requested in the final 10% of the race (92 laps x 10% ~ 9 laps)
    Laps-down drivers may receive a "wave around" lap back if they elect not to pit during a caution and end up in front of the leader before the restart
Again, we'd really appreciate it if we could get a decent field in the test race, because long-term, we think yellow flags will result in closer competition and more exciting races for all competitors in the field. Eventually, I think we'll probably require everyone to be on Ventrilo. From what I can tell in Jesse's league, it's much easier for the caution flag official to communicate with drivers about what to do via Ventrilo.

We won't require Ventrilo for the exhibition race, but we'd encourage all drivers to sign on (here's the info).
BlackKnight
League Member

Post by BlackKnight »

AWESOME count me in will be there for the test and any other tests that are needed
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

Hey sorry for the late entrance. I am looking forward to the race on Saturday night. I do have an idea of this rule though "You can request a caution flag typing "caution" or "yellow" (in points races, we'd review every caution for legitimacy, like we do for restarts)" . What I do In Hardcore Motorsports is have a "hot key" set for page up/page down and watch the entire field for spins, car slides or cars that would be in the way on the racing surface of other competitors any of which would warrant a "Caution".
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Thanks Jesse.

I suppose we figured that in NHRL, drivers would also be able to request a caution flag, like we do for restarts with the starting grid. We might need to think over whether or not that would ever be needed, since the caution flag official would be calling most or all of the cautions.

Also, Rookiesrock told me that you could use a newly painted pace car. However, the NHRLC11 mod already has an okay-looking one. I've never tried getting in the pace car, is it possible to use that one? What's the process for loading the pace car anyway?
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

To get in the pace car you have to go into the driver.txt just like you would to get in your own paint.
table Driver
number 999
name PACECAR
chassis pace_online
rank 900
race_image 100
ui_image pacec.img
body_style pcar
end

This is a copy of the g3 Platinum Admin Carset. I think if I knew what car number the person who made the pace car used I could be able to get in it and use it in the game.
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

table Driver
number pacecar
chassis nhrlcs
name pacecar
rank 99
ui_image 42.img
race_image 2
body_style pcar
end

I tried this I can get in it but I cant see it (it's white) but if everyone else can see it I will run it.
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Yeah, if the pace car stubbornly refuses to show up, that's fine, we'll be able to see the white thing from a mile away.

I would also ask that drivers limit themselves to using tex files listed on the Cup Series paints page. Otherwise, please use an in-game car.
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

lepage71 wrote:Yeah, if the pace car stubbornly refuses to show up, that's fine, we'll be able to see the white thing from a mile away.

I would also ask that drivers limit themselves to using tex files listed on the Cup Series paints page. Otherwise, please use an in-game car.
Cool.
Jes Rathbun
League Member

Post by Jes Rathbun »

Jes Rathbun wrote:
lepage71 wrote:Yeah, if the pace car stubbornly refuses to show up, that's fine, we'll be able to see the white thing from a mile away.

Cool.
table Driver
number pace
chassis pacecar
name pacecar
rank 99
ui_image 42.img
race_image 2
body_style pcar
end

I changed the Chasis and I can see it :)
lepage71
League Administrator

Post by lepage71 »

Great, we've got a pacecar. :D