Gimp and Tga's

General announcements, discussion, and rumors about painting topics.
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Gimp and Tga's

Post by SpeedyExiter »

I have tried numerous times to convert a paint in .psd to a .tga file (24 bit uncompressed) in various differnet mods.It seems to convert.have even tried an online converter that i've used before. But when i try to change to a .tex file in winrestool or the mod launcher all i get is an error
stating that i need to save it in the correct 24bit uncompressed format..???I did that??grrrr...i hate computers..grrr :(
bover907
League Administrator

Re: Gimp and Tga's

Post by bover907 »

I don't know how to tell you what you're doing wrong, if anything. I can tell you, that if you ever need to, just pm me with the attached .psd or whatever image file, I can get it saved, and if needed converted to a .tex for you.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Bubba
Forum Member

Post by Bubba »

If you have spaces in the name (eg: my car.tga instead of mycar.tga ), or the name is too long, (more than 8 or 9 characters) the .tga files won't convert correctly to a .tex file either. ;)
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Ok..I dumped Gimp.and got Paint Shop Pro 9.I did everything correct to my knowledge, merged(flatten) layers,and saved as a 24 bit uncompressed .tga file and still i get this message ..
2013-02-20_025449.jpg
when trying to convert it to a .tex file using the mod launcher Utilities/Installers/ Install new....(*tga)NH car paints in .tga format. I even went back and resaved it .Still refused to convert.And here is the image info from psp9....
2013-02-20_025427.jpg
I am not quite done with the paint but wanted to check a few things on it and also see if it would convert b4 i wasted any more frustrating time!I found an online tga converter awhile back that always worked great for me , but even after it states the file has been converted successfully.when i try to install it using mod laucher it gives me the same error message.I have even uninstalled the mod launcher and redownloaded it and reinstalled it.same deal.gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba
Forum Member

Post by Bubba »

See what happens when you use WinResTools Wizard for converting the .tga to .tex

http://www.themodsquad.info/modules.php ... oad&cid=17

The one in ML2 is a bit more limited than the WinResTools Wizard. plus, I have read that some folks have had issues before with using ML2 to add cars in.

Just looking at the pictures you show though, I don't really see anything wrong... so it could just be ML2 giving you a fit.

See if WinResTools Wizard helps and then try and add the paint into the game manually by editing the drivers.txt yourself. Once you've added a driver/paint to a drivers.txt one time, it is easy from then on.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Speedy, I've used psp9 for years, and never had a problem. I mostly use photoshop now, but still use psp9 for some things that I can't seem to do in photoshop.

I never merge (flatten) my image before saving as a .tga because it merges automatically when saving it.

Bubba is right, winrestools wizard, is the best way to convert your heat files. it even has a log that'll tell you if something is wrong with your .tga file. Like for instance, wrong format, alpha switch on when your tga doesn't contain an alpha channel, etc. There's a "view log" button on restools wizard that lets you see the log in real time, and know if anything went wrong.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Yes ..I normally use winrestools wizard to convert my .tga files to a carxxxtex file and then manually install it in the drivers text or if i am adjusting and lining things up i'll use the mod launcher,.....BUT the reason i was using the mod launcher this time was because of this>>>>>
winrestoolserror.jpg
I even tried using the convert button on the left side.I've never ever had a problem with any of these programs until just recently.I have scanned computer for malware,viruses,and searched all over the net to find a solution.Its frustrating enough ,trying to come up with an idea,go thru all the motions of painting,
even finding the time to relax enough and sit down and do it,and then have to deal with this garbage.I must have almost finished at least 3-4 paints for
various mods in the last few months ,and out of frustration(anger mostly) deleted the dam things,swearing to never try again.Only to later on foolishly
attempt to try another and ..well u know..grrr :-X

So i may take you up on that Bover and send you the finished paint if i ever get to the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba
Forum Member

Post by Bubba »

There in the little box where you have put BrzNBS may be causing the issue. Try either going with "Original Name" and see if it goes through that way, or to name the extension beside "New Name" like this BrzNBS.tex

If I had to guess, I'd guess that the MkTex is failing because it doesn't recognize you having an extension name on it like .tex
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

I don't put the .tex after my file names and it usually works fine.

Speedy, you should send me your tga so I can try it. At least then, if it still does it, we can tell weather it's the tga file, or something with your computer. If you want, send the tga and also the psp file, and I'll see what happens.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Bubba
Forum Member

Post by Bubba »

bover907 wrote:I don't put the .tex after my file names and it usually works fine.
I don't either, but I also usually use it with the "Original Name" checked myself, and rename my .tex files afterwards. ;)
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Bubba wrote:I don't either, but I also usually use it with the "Original Name" checked myself, and rename my .tex files afterwards. ;)
That's just a matter of 'different strokes for different folks'. I think if 10 of us posted how we do things, we'd come up with close to 10 different ways.

You should send me, or bubba or someone your psp and .tga files, speedy. I'm sure then we'll be able to isolate what's going on.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
Bubba
Forum Member

Post by Bubba »

bover907 wrote:You should send me, or bubba or someone your psp and .tga files, speedy. I'm sure then we'll be able to isolate what's going on.
Yes... send the files to one of us and we can take a look. It's likely something simple.

You can email it to me if you want, and my email is this:

dsechrest AT triad DOT rr DOT com

I'm Raybee1970 in case you guys didn't know the "bubba" name. :mrgreen
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

Bubba wrote:I'm Raybee1970 in case you guys didn't know the "bubba" name. :mrgreen
I wasn't gonna spill the beans on ya! lol.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

Be sure your running Win Res Tools as Administrator, there's potential its killing the conversion, but it could be something else.
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver