Ventrilo and Norton AntVirus

Find solutions to common connection, hardware, or softwareproblems.
tjwild
League Member

Ventrilo and Norton AntVirus

Post by tjwild »

ok i need some help here since i add norton to my computer i cant get the ventrilo to work i disabled the norton and it still don't work but if i uninstall the norton it works what can be stopping the ventrilo from working because of some thing in the norton ?
bover907
League Administrator

Re: Ventrilo and Norton AntVirus

Post by bover907 »

Hate to lock the barn after the horses are gone, but Norton is crap. Maybe ok if you only surf and email, and go to compromising sites, but for gaming Norton is crap. I haven't run it for years and never will. I always advise others not to run it. It's too resourse hungry and too intrusive to normal computing IMHO.

I run Avast Antivirus. It does maleware too, and it's FREE!!! BTW... don't be fooled into the pro version.. The Free version is fine. There's even a "Silent Gaming Mode" which keeps popups such as Update Available from interrupting game play. That's a new feature in the version that recently came out.
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
groverhardt
League Member

Post by groverhardt »

I second bover. I run free AVG and haven't had a problem since.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

I've used norton for over 10 yrs and have yet to have problems. I have never had to mess with the defaults of norton. Currently I use norton 360 which is an all-in-one package. I use it because i can use it 3 times and it is easy to use with no attention. I have 2 children that aren't real pc savy and norton works with little or no attention. Sure there are free anti-virus programs out there but they require a little attention. I would try uninstalling vent, rebooting (powering off/ not restarting) and then reinstalling vent with norton enabled.
DusterLag
League Member

Post by DusterLag »

Norton is a great choice only if you have pc users that do not know what they are doing online (aka young kids) otherwise it uses an unnecessary number of computer resources. Your best choice is Microsoft Security Essentials it does it all for free, this program is made by the creators of Windows so it runs at peak efficiency and is still secure and will keep you safe from viruses/malware/spyware, I now recommend this program to everyone I know family and customers.

As for Ventrilo what exactly isn't working now, will it not open or will it not connect to the server...?
DusterLag - dusterlag.com
HeatFinder Admin, ARL Director, TMS Moderator, Driver
tjwild
League Member

Post by tjwild »

it will not open