Rook's tip of the week!

Submit setups and compare strategies for upcoming league races.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Rook's tip of the week!

Post by Rookiesrock »

Some heat tips I've learned over the years. I will share one roughly each week. Please post comments under a new thread so I don't have to redo this topic every week, thanks beforehand. Some you might already know and some might just help. Feel free to PM any hints or tips that you want to share so I don't run out too soon. Now don't get any attitudes that some of these tips are cheating. They are not and only use the confines of the game.
This week it's about minimizing without losing connection. This tip might be boring but helpful for the noobs. If the need arises to minimixe the game, some have noticed when you return to the lobby/chat area, your connection is lost. You can minimize safely when in the garage. But don't stay away too long. Somebody might reset the server and be waiting for you to click. :p
Rookiesrock
League Member

Re: Rook's tip of the week!

Post by Rookiesrock »

Pitting. Large gains or large losses can be discovered when pitting. No need to push the envelope around the corners to gain time. Usually that ends up tragically. Practice practice practice pitting on old tires. Try pitting a few laps before your regular pitstop. Drive thru the pit lane without stopping in your pits and try it again. This will help immensely.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

From the "in" box,
Don’t rely solely on your in game spotter while in traffic. With larger fields expected for this CTS Mini Series, driving in traffic can be a bit more hazardous than usual. The in-game spotter is a great help, but lacks the high frequency needed to feel like the “real thing.” Use your ticker (F5 key), and your mirror. It is not advisable to look left or right with the in-game controls. I have seen many instances where the spotter has said clear and a driver has moved up or down causing wrecks because the other car was too close or even side by side. Basically your spotter lies.
My general rule of thumb is that there needs to be at least .1 to .2 seconds between myself and the car ahead or the car behind for me to safely move up or down. If your ticker is blinking 0.0 or not there at all, then there is a car running door to door with you. When using my rearview, I treat it like a real car, meaning I need to see at least one headlight and the grill for it to be safe to move around. Best bet is to see both headlights in your rearview before moving around. Some people change their mirro_FOV field of view in the options folder or thru Modlauncher. The settings should be 82.0000 to be nearest to accurate.

Hope this helps some of you out.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Drafting in the CTS mod.
These trucks suck up much faster than the COT or NBS. You better decide what your going to do before you catch the pack in front of you. Dive bombing to the inside of a truck entering the corner is not a good choice. If you want to pass while in the draft, the best place is coming off a corner or in the beginning of the straights so both trucks are in position before the corner. Damage to your front spoiler will greatly effect the trucks handling characteristics especially on old tires, you'll be pushing. There were over 10 different driver swaps for 3rd in the first 20 laps last time the CTS series raced here. It is going to happen. If a truck gets under you then be smart and stay high till there is an opening or someone lets you in. Don't force it. I think Lepage got shuffled from 3rd to 11th last time. And still finished 2nd. Which brings me to "patience". Use it. Patience has been proven often by drivers starting in the 20,21,22,23,24 starting positions. Keeping your truck damage free is key. Good luck this weekend gentlemen.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Be careful, patient and watch your pitting!
Let's talk about warping etc. At times there will be drivers with shakey connections. These things happen. If you are told that your warping slightly or ghosting then take the responsibility to leave room between others and your vehicle. That also means side to side as well as front and rear. Admins will inform you of the severity of your warping. Please don't take it personally. I had a race once where mine was so bad I could never pass anyone and I couldn't follow too close. It was a drafting track to boot! :sad: And please be a sportsman and not push it if you know your jumpy. I seen some close racing the last two weeks and some warping incidents. Good luck all!
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

I know a few of you have been anxiously waiting for the next words that might bring you to victory lane. :lol: Manual users can go 1 MPH faster down pit road at NC the "ROCK" by staying in a higher gear. This "quirk" works at some tracks but not all. So check it out.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Well here it is. The last race of the CTS season. And it's Talledega! What a mixer this will be. Never has a plate track been the finale for a NHRL series. Enjoy this race gentlemen as it will probably be the last race performed in this "free for all' format. New rules are scheduled to be implemented at future NHRL sponsored plate track events.
Usually when plate tracks come around there is a plethora of information I give to rookies and others but not this time. Keep your truck clean (no bump drafting), Don't go below the yellow line, Stay in your lane when it's 2 or more wide (the lanes are clearly marked), don't make sudden moves, be consistant in your choices and above all anticipate everything. One more thing for you newcomers, you might "feel" fast in the draft or following another truck but your probably not. And you might think your "fast" when someone is pushing you but the fact is that the pusher will be the truck that decides how fast you really are. Thank you NHRL for another successful series. See you all tonight GOOD LUCK!
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Well kiddies the plate track season is here again. The next 4 races will be a test of nerves, skill and quick thinking to name a few. Sprint races are 4x@28 laps. Since eagle isn't around, I would guess they are at least 1 pit stop. The sprint races will set the grid for the Big shows on January 21st and 22nd. And qualifying will set the grid for the sprint races, and since you won't stay up front long, the pole is for bragging rights only. The record is held by Kyle at 45.565. Go get it! I'm thinking some teams will try the 2 tire or no tire stop, fyi if you want to change left sides only , you have to enter your stall backwards. You figure out how. Good luck and make smart choices at 205 mph.
bover907
League Administrator

Post by bover907 »

If some wierdo jacks up my car while trying to pit backwards, I'm coming to hunt you down! lol
Bover907
Old School Racing

Image Image
gsxr1000k5
League Member

Post by gsxr1000k5 »

so if i enter my stall perpendicular to the pit wall, will they just change my rear tires? :lol:
SpeedyExiter
League Member

Post by SpeedyExiter »

Excuse me ,Rook,for taking up space in your tips of the week thread.I ran across this article while browsing, and thought I'd share it.Seemed to be the place to put it

Posted: Monday February 14, 2000 02:25 PM
DRAFT CARD By Ryan Smithson, CNNSI.com
Passing at Daytona depends on air and patience
Bad accidents happen very quickly due to the close racing caused by power-sucking restrictor plates. A driver has to have friends at Daytona. At its best, Daytona International Speedway is one of the most challenging tracks on the circuit. At its worst, it's a 2.5-mile nightmare wrapped in 31-degree banks and restrictor-plate engines.
Drafting looks like a pretty simple science on television. You hook your car to the back of another car. You stay there. You wait until the last lap. You pass him.

Not that simple.

Here are three serious issues drivers have to deal with when drafting with other cars:

1. Forget "Days of Thunder," where the cars bump each other hand enough to cause damage to the front. Obviously, that kind of abuse ruins the aerodynamic advantage that crew chiefs spent all winter to perfect.
When drafting properly, some drivers do bump cars -- but only slightly. This is called "bump drafting." This is when one car draws onto the first car's bumper and touches it slightly - this keeps the pace steady between the two cars.

But bump drafting can actually be counterproductive. Since the cars rely heavily on airflow streaming into the car's radiator, bump drafting can actually make engines overheat.

2. When a car gets out of line of cars on a straightaway, the driver must be sure that another car will follow him out of line -- hence the "drafting partner." If a car gets out of line and no one follows, the car will be hung out to dry with a minimum loss of several positions. It is not uncommon for a car to lose 10 positions on one straightaway.

3. Since the cars are so close together, avoiding an accident is difficult at best. Naturally, this is a two-sided problem: since the cars are running nose-to-tail on high banks, conditions are optimal for sudden accidents.

For this reason, the winner at Daytona is sometimes not the fastest or the most skilled - but rather, the luckiest.

Or the most friendly. ]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2000
CNN/Sports Illustrated
An AOL Time Warner Company.
All Rights Reserved.
Rookiesrock
League Member

Post by Rookiesrock »

Hello NHRL monkees. This weeks races are at the track fondly known as the "ROCK". A cheese grater for tires. Hug those tires, love those tires, baby those tires. The difference between fuel and sprint this week is 3-4 laps. The closests its ever been. I see some fast times in the 22's. I've witnessed sprint beating fuel with 5 laps to go a few years back. So it might be possible. Like darlington, race the track or pay the price in tires. Remember to be courteous to those around you. You might need them to return the favor at some time during the race. All it takes is one brush with the wall or another car and that tire will wear prematurely. And premature wear will drastically delay your journey. So have the math worked out ahead of time for options. Sprint pits will be 20,19,19,19,19 and 19. While fuel will be 23,23,23,23,and 23. Practice pitting on them old tires. I can't stress ennough the importance of this. You will be pitting at least 4 to 5 times. Be cautious and obey the exiting rules. I seen a common occurrence among team TTR last week. Follow them this week. I bet they get it correct. At least they're consistant as a team. Speaking of TTR. This team has team practices every week. They're laying down the gauntlet drivers. Step up or be left eating their dust. Good luck to everyone at this weekends festivities.